Active Time: 20 MINTotal Time35 MIN
Yield: Serves : 8
Inspired by her mother’s (much richer) fried eggplant salad, Reem Kassis tops fried cauliflower with toasted nuts, pomegranate arils, and lemon-and-garlic-laced yogurt.
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 medium heads cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pound each), cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch florets (about 16 cups)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs and greens (such as arugula, dill, and chives)
- 3/4 cup lightly toasted mixed nuts (such as almonds, pistachios, and hazelnuts)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
How to Make It
Pour canola oil to a depth of 1 inch into a large skillet. Heat over medium-high until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°F. Working in batches, fry cauliflower until just golden and tender, about 3 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cauliflower to paper towels to drain; season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
While cauliflower drains, whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic in a medium bowl. Season yogurt mixture with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Chill at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour; remove and discard crushed garlic before using.
To serve, arrange cauliflower on a platter; spoon yogurt mixture over top. Garnish with herbs and greens, mixed nuts, and pomegranate arils.
Source: Read Full Article