The brown sugar gives these B&B’s a bold flavor and the red pepper gives them a nice little kick.They have a good flavor as soon as they are cooled but the flavors will deepen if allowed to sit for 24 hours.I am told they will keep for about a month in the refrigerator, but I have never had a jar that lasted that long.
- 3 Pounds pickling cucumbers (kirbys less than 5 inches long)
- 1 large or 2 medium onions (about a pound)
- 3 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 Teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 Teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 Cups apple cider vinegar
- 2-1/2 Cups dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
Trim and discard the blossom ends of the cucumbers, then peel the onions and cut both into rounds that are about 1/4 inch thick. In a nonreactive bowl, toss them with the salt and then cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Drain well, rinse, and drain well again. Set the onions and cucumbers aside.
In a nonreactive pot, combine all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring once or twice to dissolve the brown sugar. Reduce the heat to low, simmer for 3 minutes. Pour the liquid over the cucumbers and onions. The cucumbers should be covered in the liquid.
Allow to cook to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate or pack in jars and refrigerate.
Source: Read Full Article