- Total: 1 hr 30 min
- Active: 30 min
- Yield:9 servings
- Line a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with foil to overhang by an inch or two. Spray with cooking spray.
- Remove half the marshmallows from one bag and set aside. Divide the remaining 1 1/2 bags of marshmallows evenly between 2 large microwave-safe bowls. Divide the butter between the two bowls.
- Microwave one bowl until the marshmallows begin to melt, about 45 seconds. Stir well and microwave again until completely melted, about 30 seconds more. Add green gel food coloring and stir to turn the marshmallow mixture an even, vibrant green (see Cook’s Note). Add half the rice cereal (4 1/2 cups), stirring well to coat the cereal completely and evenly. Repeat the melting process with the second bowl of marshmallows and butter, tint with purple gel food coloring and mix in the remaining 4 1/2 cups rice cereal.
- Grease your hands with cooking spray (or use disposable gloves). Using one hand for each color, dollop blobs of the cereal mixture in the prepared pan, randomly distributing it to make several mottled layers. Once you have used all of the cereal, press the mixture into the pan to even it out and smooth the top. Let cool and set completely, at least 1 hour.
- Use the foil overhang to lift the treats from the pan. Peel back the edges, flattening the foil to create a work surface for decorating. Trim the treat edges with a serrated knife to neaten if desired and cut into 9 rectangles. Separate the treats on the foil so there is a little space between each.
- Put the remaining half bag of marshmallows in a large microwave-safe large bowl. Microwave until the marshmallows begin to melt, about 45 seconds. Stir and microwave again until completely melted, about 30 seconds more. Stir until smooth. Set aside until the marshmallows are just cool enough to touch.
- Wearing disposable gloves, pull out a handful of the marshmallows and rub between your hands until you can pull long web-like strings when you separate them. Pull the strings and let them drape over the treats, scooping up more marshmallows as needed. Pull from different directions over the treats to create a web-like pattern.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the microwave at 50-percent power in 30-second intervals, stirring well with a rubber spatula between each, until completely melted and smooth. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small, plain tip. Pipe 8 spider legs together on a treat and place a chocolate-covered peanut or jellybean, cut side down, on top of the legs to create a spider body. Make a spider on each treat.
Gel food coloring is more concentrated than liquid drops. Use a toothpick to add a small amount of gel to the melted marshmallow mixture and mix well until the desired shade is reached.
Source: Read Full Article