250g soft brown sugar
2 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
200g (about 3) ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
150g plain flour
100g wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
150g unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE FROSTING
150g butter, softened
50g Bonne Maman Caramel Spread + 6 tbsp extra to sandwich
250g golden icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin. Firstly, place the pecans on a small roasting tray and toast in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove, leave to cool and then chop. Set aside until you’re ready to make the frosting.
2. With an electric mixer, beat the sugar with the eggs until combined. Add the mashed banana and continue beating.
3. Sieve the two flours together, then fold into the sugar and egg mixture with the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and the spices. Stir in the melted butter. Beat until incorporated and tip into the prepared tin.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes until risen, golden and when a skewer pushed into the middle comes out clean.
5. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove and leave to cool completely on a wire rack. Slice the cake in 3 lengthways, then spread the top of the bottom 2 layers with 3 tbsp each of caramel and sandwich back together.
6. To make the frosting, beat the butter with the caramel, add theicing sugar a little at a time followed by the milk, and beat until light and smooth. Spread the icing all over the top of the cake, scatter with the nuts and serve with a nice cup of tea.
Source: Read Full Article