Weight loss: Dr Michael Mosley on benefits of fasting
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Dr Michael Mosley has helped thousands lose weight and overhaul their diets. Perhaps his most extreme diet The Fast 800, sees people limiting their daily calorie intake to 800. As a result, up to 11lbs can be lost in just two weeks, according to GoodtoKnow, but how does it work and what sort of meals can you eat?
Speaking about his diet plan, Dr Michael said: “Eating well doesn’t just help you lose weight.
“Good food can boost your immune system, give you energy and even impact your mood.”
What is the Fast 800?
The Fast 800 is a combination of time restricted eating (TRE) or intermittent fasting and 800 calories food intake to reach an optimum level wherein your body will burn to fat to produce energy.
This is what Dr Michael calls “flipping your metabolic switch”.
When consuming 800 calories, it is advised to do so with 12:12 TRE, which means you eat within a 12 hour window and then consume nothing, also known as fasting, for the next 12 hours.
It is vital to have at least 40 percent healthy fats, 30 percent protein and 30 percent high-quality carbohydrates in your diet.
The high-quality carbohydrates should come from slow-release grains, legumes like beans and lentils including non-starchy vegetables.
A protein intake of around 50-60g is advised to avoid losing muscle mass.
The diet can be followed for up to 12 weeks or until the desired weight goal is reached.
Exercise is also recommended as this can help with weight loss.
The Fast 800 website explains: “High intensity interval training (HIIT) is time efficient and an effective way to reduce visceral fat.”
It is recommended to do two sessions of HIIT training per week.
Strength and muscle training is also advised three days a week, preferably on non-HIIT days.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by The Fast 800 (@thefast800_official)
Spiced breakfast plums
The recipe serves two and is 233 calories per serving.
1. Half and de-stone four plums and put them into a saucepan. Add two 10-12cm orange zest strips and 100ml of fresh orange juice, 159ml of water and a quarter of a tsp of ground cinnamon. Stir gently.
2. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cover with a lid, then reduce the heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes.
3. Divide the spiced plums between two bowls, along with 100g of full-fat Greek yoghurt and 15g of toasted flaked almonds. It can be served warm or cold.
Poached eggs with mushrooms and spinach.
This recipe serves one and is 241 calories per serving.
1. Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a gentle simmer.
2. Break two eggs into the pan, one by one and cook over very low heat for three minutes, or until the whites are set but the yolks remain runny.
3. While poaching the eggs, melt 5g of butter in a medium non-stick frying pan, which is on medium heat, and stir-fry 75g of small chestnut mushrooms for two to three minutes.
4. Add 50g of spinach and toss with the mushrooms until wilted. Season with a pink of salt and pepper.
5. Serve the mushrooms and spinach on a plate. Drain the eggs and place them on top.
If you’re not fasting, you can serve on top of a slice of wholegrain toast.
Source: Read Full Article