6 green cardamom pods, seeds removed and finely crushed
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
750g new potatoescut into 0.5cm slices
2 tbsp olive oil
5 heapedtsp sumac
WATERCRESS PISTACHIO SAUCE
30g pistachios, shelled
½ lemon, zest and juice
1 heapedtsp Greek yogurt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
about 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 220˚C, gas mark 7. Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment and put the trussed poussins on 1 tray. Combine all the spices in a small bowl with the olive oil and 1 tbsp water, adding more if needed, to make a loose paste. Rub the paste all over the poussins and season generously. Roast on the top shelf of the oven for 40-45 minutes.
2. Toss the potato slices on the second tray with the olive oil and sumac, season well and spread in an even layer. Once the poussins have had 15 minutes in the oven, put the potatoes on the middle shelf and cook for 30 minutes, until crisp and golden.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Blend all the ingredients in the small bowl of a food processor with 3 tbsp water, until smooth. Season with salt and blend again; set aside.
4. Set a non-stick frying pan over a medium–high heat. Using a sharp knife, slice off the tops and bottoms of the oranges so they sit upright. Working around each fruit, slice away all of the peel and pith. Cut each orange widthways into 4 slices. Once the pan is smoking hot, drizzle in a little olive oil and add the orange slices; you may need to do this in batches. Sear for 2-3 minutes on each side, until slightly blackened but still holding their shape; set aside.
5. Rest the poussin under foil for 5 minutes as you plate up the potatoes, oranges and sauce. Serve 1 poussin per person, either whole or halved and stacked on the plate.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Kitchen magazine. myWaitrose members can download the Waitrose Kitchen app edition for FREE. Find out more.
Source: Read Full Article