Active time: 30 min. Total time: 1 hour, 15 min.
Yield: Serves 8 (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
Here’s an easy family dinner everyone will love, or just a fun way to use up some leftover holiday turkey. Our Turkey Noodle Casserole combines all the good stuff—broccoli, pasta, turkey, and cream sauce—into one delightful, family-friendly dish. For a little something extra, we’ve added mirepoix, otherwise known as the holy trinity of Cajun and Creole cuisine. Serve with a glass of milk, some rolls, and maybe a side of steamed or roasted veggies.
- 8 ounces uncooked egg noodles (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups broccoli florets (12 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion (from 1 small onion)
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot (from 1 medium carrot)
- 1/3 cup chopped celery (from 1 medium stalk)
- 3garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups shredded cooked turkey (about 12 oz.)
- Cooking spray
- 6 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high. Add noodles; cook according to package directions, adding broccoli during final 3 minutes cook time. Drain; rinse under cold water, and drain again. Set aside.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high until foamy. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup of the milk in a bowl until smooth. Add remaining 3 1/2 cups milk to onion mixture; bring just to a boil over medium-high, whisking constantly. Whisk in flour mixture, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, whisking occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
Stir together noodle mixture, sauce mixture, and turkey in a large heatproof bowl until combined. Spoon mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake in preheated oven until cheese is bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve.
Source: Read Full Article