Photo by Michael Graydon & Nikole Herriott
Don’t even think about lifting this cake out of the pan before it’s completely—and we mean completely—cool. Because it’s vegan, with no eggs for structure, its delicate crumb needs time to set.
Like this Bon Appétit recipe? There are plenty more where this came from. Subscribe to the magazine here!
- Makes 1 (9×5″) loaf
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil, plus more for pan
- ¾ cup raw pistachios
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 325°F. Grease a 9×5" loaf pan with vegetable oil, then line with parchment paper, leaving overhang on long sides. Oil parchment paper (for insurance and an easy release).
- Pulse pistachios in a food processor until finely ground (it’s okay if some of the pieces are a bit larger). Set aside a heaping tablespoonful.
- Whisk lemon zest, flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and remaining pistachios in a large bowl. Whisk olive oil, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, remaining ⅓ cup vegetable oil, and ½ cup water in a small bowl to combine. Pour oil mixture into dry ingredients and fold with a rubber spatula to combine, being very careful not to overmix (this batter contains a high ratio of liquid, which means it can get gummy if overworked). Pour into prepared pan and tilt to distribute; batter should come halfway up the sides.
- Bake cake until golden brown all over, it springs back when gently pressed, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50–60 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cake cool completely in pan, at least 2 hours. Using parchment overhang, lift cake out of pan and place on rack. Peel away parchment.
- Whisk powdered sugar and 3 Tbsp. lemon juice in a medium bowl, drizzling in remaining 2 Tbsp. lemon juice as needed until you have a thick but pourable glaze. Pour glaze over cake, letting it drip down the sides. Immediately top cake with reserved pistachios, then let sit until glaze is set, at least 30 minutes.
- Do Ahead: Cake can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
Source: Read Full Article