ActiveTime1 Hour 15 Mins
Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Mins
Yield: Makes 4 sandwiches
This isn’t your average deli sandwich. Take your lunch hour up a notch with a decadent grilled ham and cheese sandwich, featuring sweet caramelized onions, Gruyère cheese, and goat cheese.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2large sweet onions (about 1 lb.), thinly sliced into wedges
- 8 ounces Gruyère cheese, sliced or grated
- 8sourdough bread slices
- 8 ounces deli ham, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup Caramelized Onions
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup baby spinach or arugula (optional)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Dill pickle (optional)
How to Make It
Prepare the Caramelized Onions: Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet with high sides over low. Add onions, and cook, stirring often, until onions are caramelized, about 45 minutes.
Prepare the Sandwiches: Divide Gruyère cheese among 4 of the bread slices; top evenly with sliced ham. Spread some of the Dijon mustard on each of the 4 remaining bread slices; top evenly with Caramelized Onions and goat cheese. Top with spinach, if using. Close sandwiches together, and spread 2 tablespoons of the butter evenly over the top bread slices.
Heat a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low. Place sandwiches, buttered side down, in hot skillet. Spread remaining butter on unbuttered bread slices. Turn sandwich occasionally, until bread is crisp and golden and cheese is melted, 5 to 8 minutes. Cut in half and serve.
Source: Read Full Article