"This bacon-studded ‘cheese corn’ is a popular bar snack in Korea, made of pure bacon-y, creamy, cheesy, corny decadence. The original recipe uses a combination of mayonnaise and sweetened condensed milk, but we’re going with heavy cream here for a lighter approach. This may be the first time in my career that I’ve ‘lightened up’ a recipe by adding a cup of heavy cream. Garnished with green onions, this would be amazing with a cold beer!"
- Cook bacon in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until almost crisp and fat is rendered, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Drain frozen corn thoroughly in a colander. Add 1/2 of the corn to the skillet with the bacon. Cook and stir until kernels just start to turn golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, green onions, and jalapenos; cook until vegetables start to soften and sweeten up, 3 to 4 minutes. Tilt pan to drain off some of the fat, using a paper towel to soak it up.
- Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Pour in cream; stir and bring to a boil. Stir in the remaining corn until heated through. Turn off the heat and add about 2/3 of the mozzarella and Monterey Jack cheese. Stir to combine. Top corn with remaining cheese and a sprinkle of cayenne.
- Broil until heated through and top is browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Chef’s Notes:
- You can pan-fry all the corn, or none of it, in the bacon fat in step 2.
- I used frozen corn with great success. If you want to use fresh corn, be sure to blanch it, or pan-fry it first, to take off the raw edge. The broiling step doesn’t really cook the casserole, so you want the corn nicely cooked by that point.
- You can make this ahead by waiting until serving time to top with cheese and broil. You can also bake this at 475 degrees F (250 degrees C). Feel free to Cheddar instead of Monterey Jack.
Per Serving: 268 calories;17 g fat;21.9 g carbohydrates;10.6 g protein;54 mg cholesterol;298 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article