"If you’ve ever wondered why our pastry chef Melissa is so good, you need only dig into her family history to realize that she comes from a long line of talented bakers. This recipe from her great-grandmother Formanek dates from the WWI era, hence no butter. These freeze well."
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat 2 cups sugar, shortening, and molasses together in a bowl using an electric stand mixer until uniform, making sure not to overbeat. Add eggs and mix for 30 seconds.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt together in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and mix until just combined and dough is stiff.
- Pour 2 tablespoons sugar in a shallow bowl. Form cookie dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar, making sure not to flatten. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cookies crackle on top for 'lace' design, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cook’s Notes:
- Don’t overbeat dough, as overbeating makes very flat cookies.
- Don’t overbake! They should not have dark edges.
Per Serving: 113 calories;5.4 g fat;15.6 g carbohydrates;1.1 g protein;5 mg cholesterol;126 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article